If you start up Hedgewars today you'll be greeted by the spooooky background of the Halloween theme. We remind you to beware of any suspicious pumpkins you see on the battlefield--they could be hedgehogs in disguise!
|In other news, today is also doubly important as it is Hedgewars' birthday!
Happy birthday and congrats everyone.
12 years and still going. Hedgewars is almost an unruly teenager.
Party hats for all!
Hey, hogs! I thought I'd update you with something I think is finally functional enough to be included in the upcoming .22 release. If you can bear my terrible, raspy voice and strange accent, check it out!
Otherwise, if words are more your thing, feel free to go read the wiki article I've started to work on here -> HedgeEditor.
0.9.21 is finally here! There's some great stuff to look forward to this year. Let's get right to it!
New Map Generation
There's a type of randomly generated maps: Perlin Maps! Old randomly generated maps should be more diverse now, too. We've also added a stylish slider for adjusting land generation detail.
Better World Edge: Sea!
The sea world edge has been revamped and is looking great! It also supports freezing and saucer-based travel.
* Moved room status filter to top left of rooms list.
* Game scheme screen has a "Script parameter" field now. This allows to make more customizable scripts/modes.
* High resolution previews!
* Preview for dynamic maps generated by game style scripts (e.g. "ShoppaMap))!
New Mission: Climb Home
A little something for the shoppers! In this epic mission you are a long way from home and must race against the rising tide as menacing mines and capricious cakes seeking to undo you.
- There are seven new Target Practice missions to help you improve your aim!
- Some of the old training levels have been modified to give you improved statistics at the end of the mission.
New Modes: Tech Racer
Currently, the Hedgewars server hosts a variety of awesome racing maps. But, usually these maps just involve a bare landscape that hogs race across using rope. Tech Racer aims to add an element of variety and excitement to the mix. In this mode you will be able to race around custom maps full of mines, crates and barrels. What's more, areas of the landscape will be fully destructible, meaning you might be required to dig a tunnel, or blow a hole through part of the map to finish it.
We've always talked about implementing a construction mode where you could build a large fort complete with barrels, mines and crates. Now, it's here! We've also added the idea of "structures" to the mode. Structures can be placed anywhere in your fort's territory, and offer a wide range of benefits for those who build them.
Here is a list of the structures that have currently been implemented:
Healing Station: This medical masterpiece miraculously regenerates the life of any friendly hogs who stand near it. What's more, it even BOOSTS their health all the way up to 150! Wow!
Teleportation Node: Walking is for plebs! The amazing structure allows any nearby hogs to teleport to any other node in their territory.
Bio-Filter: This beastly device will violently target and explode enemy hedgehogs who stray too close.
Respawner: In the event of your horrifying and untimely death, this reliable respawner will replace your ravaged husk with a fresh clone. Neat!
Generator: Do you think war is cheap, soldier? Melon bombs don't grow on trees, you know. Luckily, generators grant us a steady steam of income we can use to furnish our fort with mines, barrels, crates, structures - you name it!
Support Station: This station allows a nearby hog to purchase and teleport weapon, utility, and health crates anywhere within their territory.
Construction Station: Crates are great and all, but an intense defense is even better! The construction station allows a nearby hog to purchase and place girders, rubber bands, mines, sticky mines, and barrels across their territory.
Reflector Shield: Being shot is for chumps! The reflector will reflect most incoming projectiles back towards their point of origin, as well dissolve pesky threats like fire or napalm.
Weapon-Filter: Do you dislike being murdered? Do you want to deter horrible hogs from your fort, but can't afford a Bio-Filter? Never fear! This inexpensive and handy screen will detect any weapons and gear carried by nearby enemy hogs and instantly vaporize them. Take pride in interrogating and/or gruesomely executing disarmed invaders at your leisure!
Switch through hogs in reverse order with PRECISE+HOGSWITCH (left shift + tab, by default). Wow!
Highlander game mode can now be used with custom weapon schemes (1-8=How probable to get this weapon. 9=All hogs get it)
And much more!
- Network game rejoining! Note: Your team(s) will vanish after 3 turns.
- Many bug fixes and tweaks!
- Fixed drill rockets sometimes exploding on impact.
- Fixed trainings being broken due to indestructible targets/crates.
- Sinegun won't shoot through -solid- land anymore.
- Improved Lua Support:
- Check out the ChangeLog if you want to see a more complete list of the changes.
You can get the new version from the download section
Please be a bit patient though, it may take a while till all installers/packages for all supported operating systems are available.
From the hedgewars team,
Hey hogs! It's been a while since our latest front-page post, so I thought I'd give you a little insight into one of the things we've been working on.
Currently, the Hedgewars server hosts a variety of awesome racing maps. But, usually these maps just involve a bare landscape that hogs race across using rope. Tech Racer aims to add an element of variety and excitement to the mix. In this mode you will be able to race around custom maps full of mines, crates and barrels. What's more, areas of the landscape will be fully destructible, meaning you might be required to dig a tunnel, or blow a hole through part of the map to finish it. You can watch a demo of such a map here:
Hopefully this will open up the racing arena to new kinds of gameplay and give non-pro ropers a chance to try their stuff on UFO-based racing maps and the like. Either way, I'm sure it'll be a lot of fun!
Winter is Coming...
... and 0.9.19 is here!
Has life been giving you nothing but lemons?
Don't worry, there's a new theme to go bananas over: Fruit!
Cool New Weapons
Don't wait for hell to freeze over, freeze it yourself with the all-new, amazing Freezer! Freeze your enemies, make ice-bridges over water or just create a slippery path of death! (*The dev team will not be held responsible for any injury and/or death you may sustain while walking on ice)
We've improved your existing arsenal, too! The 'size' of cleaver has been reduced, so now it's more likely to cut into hogs instead of imbedding itself infuriatingly into the ground. The Flying Saucer has also seen some interesting changes...
Death comes from
It's time to take your amphibious assault to the next level. While using the Flying Saucer, it's now possible to launch projectiles from underwater! Also, instead of just dropping bombs on your enemies you can aim them, too! Wow!
- Think you can hide in a hidey hog hole? The newly improved AI will use drill-rockets to dig you out!
- Don't worry, though, you can always sneak under the protection of your trusty steel girder, right? That's where you're wrong my friend!
New Gameplay Challenges
- An frenetic, awesome new gameplay mode: Frenzy! In this mode each turn lasts only one second. Can you handle it?
- An extra mission: Nobody Laugh.
- More Achievements: 'Prestigious Pilot' and 'Naughty Ninja' have been added to the old missions. Have fun trying to unlock them.
- A new weaponset, One of Everything.
- Fight on a variety of new battlegrounds!
- New entries include Bones, Crystal, Grassy, Haunty, Oaks, Shrooms and Tentacles!
- Over 30 new hats!
- New SteelTower fort!
- Are you already bored with the hundred shoppa maps you downloaded? Don't worry, now you can play on an 'infinite' number of procedurally generated maps, thanks to the new Shoppa Map script.
- If the behavior of rope in 0.9.18 made you want to tear your hair out, you'll be glad to know that it's much improved.