[MAP] London *almost finished*

80 replies [Last post]
jedza
User offline. Last seen 1 year 45 weeks ago. Offline
Joined: 2010-06-27
Posts: 39
Thomas
Thomas's picture
User offline. Last seen 6 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Joined: 2009-02-06
Posts: 233

I like it, even almost fits the Hedgewars Graphicstyle just make a Theme with Big Ben etc. in the Background, you could add the Bus and the Phone as Themeobjects.

please add your xfire accountname here:
http://www.hedgewars.org/node/1977

jedza
User offline. Last seen 1 year 45 weeks ago. Offline
Joined: 2010-06-27
Posts: 39

Thomas allegedly wrote:

I like it, even almost fits the Hedgewars Graphicstyle just make a Theme with Big Ben etc. in the Background, you could add the Bus and the Phone as Themeobjects.

I Thought of making it a theme, but doing map is lot easier imo. But I'll think about that if not only me think that'll be good as a theme.

---
EDIT:
You could also tell me if "hedgewars" banner on the bus looks good, and if not what shold be on the banner. And I don't know what should be on the blank place near bus number, cause on my reference photo it also was blank.

Star and Moon
Star and Moon's picture
User offline. Last seen 4 days 15 hours ago. Offline
Joined: 2010-04-03
Posts: 715

Nice Map. I don't live in London so I can't give you any REAL advice on the bus, but I think you should put a Hedgehog in the blank thing. Also There should be a driver in the bus. Wink Smiley

Uriah
Uriah's picture
User offline. Last seen 6 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
Joined: 2008-01-25
Posts: 359

Some things,

First off, good effort with the shading, it is the right style, but needs a little work.
There is a lack of contrast on the bus, which makes it look very flat, the dark reds aren't dark enough, the light reds aren't light enough and there isn't much of a range inbetween. Fixing this would be good.

The shapes are all good, personally I would make them more "organic" and stylised. For example. rather than have very distinct sharp lines make up the shape of the bus, why not curve the top, as if the entire bus is bending?

The perspective on the hedgewars logo is wrong. I would personally replace it with some sort of ad parody.

The gold emblem on the phone box has no outline, looks flat and "stuck" on. The phonebox also suffers from the contrast issue.

There are a lot of large areas with no detail and no shading, patches of a single colour. I'm sure there are small details you could add to these, no need to go overboard.. but breaking up the large single colours would be nice.

The fact that you can see the backdrop through the windows of the bus is.. odd. You could chalk it up to artistic license, but when you look through the windows of a bus (or a phonebox) you should see... well.. the inside of the bus.

It's very close to something I would accept into the game, just work on it a little more and we'll get there Smile

jedza
User offline. Last seen 1 year 45 weeks ago. Offline
Joined: 2010-06-27
Posts: 39

Tiyuri allegedly wrote:

For example. rather than have very distinct sharp lines make up the shape of the bus, why not curve the top, as if the entire bus is bending?

You mean something like that ) ( instead of | |?

Tiyuri allegedly wrote:

The perspective on the hedgewars logo is wrong. I would personally replace it with some sort of ad parody.

I thought of it, but nothing came to my mind. But... Maybe something with the exploding melon to be connected with the game. But I still don't know what could be written there to be funny.

Tiyuri allegedly wrote:

but when you look through the windows of a bus (or a phonebox) you should see... well.. the inside of the bus.

To get something like here:
http://hedgewars.org/node/2176, cause I like that if hedges could be inside of it would be very nice, i need to also do the theme, right? Cause cause I don't know if I'll be able to do the theme.

And I'll try to take care of the rest that you mentioned.

Uriah
Uriah's picture
User offline. Last seen 6 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
Joined: 2008-01-25
Posts: 359

jedza allegedly wrote:

Tiyuri allegedly wrote:

For example. rather than have very distinct sharp lines make up the shape of the bus, why not curve the top, as if the entire bus is bending?

You mean something like that ) ( instead of | |?

Tiyuri allegedly wrote:

The perspective on the hedgewars logo is wrong. I would personally replace it with some sort of ad parody.

I thought of it, but nothing came to my mind. But... Maybe something with the exploding melon to be connected with the game. But I still don't know what could be written there to be funny.

Tiyuri allegedly wrote:

but when you look through the windows of a bus (or a phonebox) you should see... well.. the inside of the bus.

To get something like here:
http://hedgewars.org/node/2176, cause I like that if hedges could be inside of it would be very nice, i need to also do the theme, right? Cause cause I don't know if I'll be able to do the theme.

And I'll try to take care of the rest that you mentioned.

Nope you don't need to do a theme Smile

This map uses a "mask", When you add a mask.png to your maps dir, the game uses the image as a mask to decide which parts of the image have collisions and which do not.

Here is the mask for his map
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23015/Bilder/random/hedgewars/mask.png

Notice how the inside of the toilet room is plain white, even though his map png ( http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23015/Bilder/random/hedgewars/map.png ) shows the inside of a room? That means the hogs can just walk by it.

My only concern with mask usage (and the reason none of the official maps use it currently) is that players just wont know which parts of the map they can and cant walk through, which parts they can shoot. This is something we need to look at making clear, perhaps through some engine feature.

nemo
nemo's picture
User offline. Last seen 13 hours 57 min ago. Offline
Joined: 2009-01-28
Posts: 1719

WRT mask, it is true you have to be careful, but I think it is possible to clearly indicate what is "background" - think of Smaxx' adding that background texture to themes. Players have still figured out that you can't shoot that stuff (usually).

And this was solved just by making it darker.

Basically, if a map maker uses common sense and indicates the walk-through portions either by darkening or blurring or removing edging (or all 3), or in a logical fashion, as part of the map's goal, such as the Basketball map (an official map that *does* use mask) I see no problem with masking, and think it could add to the visual appeal of the map.

--
Oh, what the heck. 1PLXzL1CBUD1kdEWqMrwNUfGrGiirV1WpH <= tip a hedgewars dev

jedza
User offline. Last seen 1 year 45 weeks ago. Offline
Joined: 2010-06-27
Posts: 39

Quote:

Nope you don't need to do a theme Smile

This map uses a "mask", When you add a mask.png to your maps dir, the game uses the image as a mask to decide which parts of the image have collisions and which do not.

Ok, if it's only thing of mask I'll try it ;]

nemo
nemo's picture
User offline. Last seen 13 hours 57 min ago. Offline
Joined: 2009-01-28
Posts: 1719

jedza allegedly wrote:

Quote:

Nope you don't need to do a theme Smile

This map uses a "mask", When you add a mask.png to your maps dir, the game uses the image as a mask to decide which parts of the image have collisions and which do not.

Ok, if it's only thing of mask I'll try it ;]

red for always indestructible, white for solid but destructible

--
Oh, what the heck. 1PLXzL1CBUD1kdEWqMrwNUfGrGiirV1WpH <= tip a hedgewars dev

Star and Moon
Star and Moon's picture
User offline. Last seen 4 days 15 hours ago. Offline
Joined: 2010-04-03
Posts: 715

nemo allegedly wrote:

jedza allegedly wrote:

Quote:

Nope you don't need to do a theme Smile

This map uses a "mask", When you add a mask.png to your maps dir, the game uses the image as a mask to decide which parts of the image have collisions and which do not.

Ok, if it's only thing of mask I'll try it ;]

red for always indestructible, white for solid but destructible

Orange also works for destructible. I think a Mask would work good with your map when you put an inside to the bus so you can still stand in some of the windows.

jedza
User offline. Last seen 1 year 45 weeks ago. Offline
Joined: 2010-06-27
Posts: 39

I tried changing the shape of the bus, but it didn't look good, I would have to make whole bus from the scratch, and I don't want to waste the base that I did. I'll work now on insides and to break the single colours.

nemo
nemo's picture
User offline. Last seen 13 hours 57 min ago. Offline
Joined: 2009-01-28
Posts: 1719

Star and Moon allegedly wrote:

nemo allegedly wrote:

red for always indestructible, white for solid but destructible

Orange also works for destructible. I think a Mask would work good with your map when you put an inside to the bus so you can still stand in some of the windows.

Orange miiiight work due to the logic, but white is official. :-p

--
Oh, what the heck. 1PLXzL1CBUD1kdEWqMrwNUfGrGiirV1WpH <= tip a hedgewars dev

jedza
User offline. Last seen 1 year 45 weeks ago. Offline
Joined: 2010-06-27
Posts: 39

I've done crazy driver, but I think he doesn't fit the style Sad Smiley

I tried shading to break the single colours, but it sucked. Maybe someone here's good at shading? I'll give the .svg and the map will be collaborative work Smile of course anyone that have any idea of what to add to the map and any idea how, could get svg and do it Smile

Star and Moon
Star and Moon's picture
User offline. Last seen 4 days 15 hours ago. Offline
Joined: 2010-04-03
Posts: 715

jedza allegedly wrote:

I've done crazy driver, but I think he doesn't fit the style Sad Smiley

He doesn't Match the Graphics stile. It would look better if a Hedgehog Deagle! would be driving. Since when did green haired hippie freaks drive buses anyway? Also, what does it say on the side of the bus now?

jedza
User offline. Last seen 1 year 45 weeks ago. Offline
Joined: 2010-06-27
Posts: 39

Quote:
Also, what does it say on the side of the bus now?


Simple. Will change if someone suggest anything better Smile

---
EDIT.
And will do the hedge driver Wink Smiley
Maybe just a little crazy ]:->

jedza
User offline. Last seen 1 year 45 weeks ago. Offline
Joined: 2010-06-27
Posts: 39


Is that better? Smile
I like the idea of a crazy driver. We can say that hedges had hijacked the bus Smile

jedza
User offline. Last seen 1 year 45 weeks ago. Offline
Joined: 2010-06-27
Posts: 39

Played with the insides. If that's good I'll rotate bus and telephone a bit, make a mask, and the map is ready. If I should add anything, let me know.

RoFra
RoFra's picture
User offline. Last seen 4 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
Joined: 2009-07-25
Posts: 43

Nice! But I'm missing a doorknob at the phonebox. The perspective on the logo is still wrong.

jedza
User offline. Last seen 1 year 45 weeks ago. Offline
Joined: 2010-06-27
Posts: 39

RoFra allegedly wrote:

Nice! But I'm missing a doorknob at the phonebox.


The doorknob is on the other side.
Quote:

The perspective on the logo is still wrong.

You mean the "eat watermelons"?
It looks like that now:

Hope it's ok.

Thomas
Thomas's picture
User offline. Last seen 6 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Joined: 2009-02-06
Posts: 233

I like it! Eat Watermelons is great, no better suggestion! Also the crazy Hogdriver is great!

please add your xfire accountname here:
http://www.hedgewars.org/node/1977

Star and Moon
Star and Moon's picture
User offline. Last seen 4 days 15 hours ago. Offline
Joined: 2010-04-03
Posts: 715

jedza allegedly wrote:

RoFra allegedly wrote:

Nice! But I'm missing a doorknob at the phonebox.


The doorknob is on the other side.
Quote:

The perspective on the logo is still wrong.

You mean the "eat watermelons"?
It looks like that now:

Hope it's ok.

Great new improvements, driver looks perfect, logo looks nice, though I was thinking instead of "Eat Watermelons" that you could change it to "Got Melon?"

Star and Moon
Star and Moon's picture
User offline. Last seen 4 days 15 hours ago. Offline
Joined: 2010-04-03
Posts: 715

jedza allegedly wrote:


Great new improvements, driver looks perfect, logo looks nice, though I was thinking instead of "Eat Watermelons" that you could change it to "Got Melon?" Also, could you put a Hedgehog in the white blank thing?

jedza
User offline. Last seen 1 year 45 weeks ago. Offline
Joined: 2010-06-27
Posts: 39

Thomas allegedly wrote:

Eat Watermelons is great

Star and Moon allegedly wrote:

I was thinking instead of "Eat Watermelons" that you could change it to "Got Melon?"

I like "eat watermelons" more also, but if more people write here they prefer "Got Melon?" I'll change it. "eat watermelons", if we know the context, is more aggressive. And it fits into the idea of hijacked bus Wink Smiley

RoFra
RoFra's picture
User offline. Last seen 4 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
Joined: 2009-07-25
Posts: 43

Yes, I meant that "Eat Watermelons". But it's still not correct. Watch this:

Do you see the four green lines? The two outer lines are docked to the border of the sign. The second is docked with the T and the third one with the N. They should be parallel to each other. But they aren't.

jedza
User offline. Last seen 1 year 45 weeks ago. Offline
Joined: 2010-06-27
Posts: 39

RoFra allegedly wrote:

Yes, I meant that "Eat Watermelons". But it's still not correct. Watch this:

Do you see the four green lines? The two outer lines are docked to the border of the sign. The second is docked with the T and the third one with the N. They should be parallel to each other. But they aren't.

then seems like the perspective tool in Inkscape sucks or I don't know how to use it properly ;] And doing it manually would be even more inaccurate... But I'll try with the perspective tool again.

RoFra
RoFra's picture
User offline. Last seen 4 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
Joined: 2009-07-25
Posts: 43

If you like I can help you. Just send me the svg Wink Smiley

jedza
User offline. Last seen 1 year 45 weeks ago. Offline
Joined: 2010-06-27
Posts: 39

RoFra allegedly wrote:

If you like I can help you. Just send me the svg Wink Smiley

http://www.sendspace.com/file/9bhac7
here you are Smile

RoFra
RoFra's picture
User offline. Last seen 4 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
Joined: 2009-07-25
Posts: 43

Done: http://www.sendspace.com/file/9tm284.

By the way: How about adding the typical London Postbox? Maybe the bus crashed into it? Big Grin

jedza
User offline. Last seen 1 year 45 weeks ago. Offline
Joined: 2010-06-27
Posts: 39

Nice idea Smile
I'll try that, and it it won't need any modifications of a bus it would be perfect Smile
I haven't ever been to London, the map just came to my mind and things that I connect with london is big ben, doubledeckers, and red phoneboxes ;D And here we have another nice london attribute Smile

Spikeymasterman
User offline. Last seen 8 years 34 weeks ago. Offline
Joined: 2010-08-18
Posts: 4

This is a really good looking map(I'm probably saying that because I live there).

But here are 2 suggestions for improvement:

1. What you should put in the thing next to the number are other areas that this bus would go through. Look at the image below to see what I mean.

2. On the telephone box try and make the crown rounded on the top like in the link below.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/18/St._Edward%27s_Crown.svg

P.S. I prefer Eat Watermelons to got melon Smile

jedza
User offline. Last seen 1 year 45 weeks ago. Offline
Joined: 2010-06-27
Posts: 39


Something like that?
I think I don't have to stick to the reality too much, but if you think it looks better, we'll kep that like that Smile

Uriah
Uriah's picture
User offline. Last seen 6 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
Joined: 2008-01-25
Posts: 359

Hi there, we've decided we'd like to include map in the next version of hedgewars. If you'd like that and are happy to tweak a few small things, give me a shout on IRC (live chat link on the website if you don't have a client) and we'll discuss it.

jedza
User offline. Last seen 1 year 45 weeks ago. Offline
Joined: 2010-06-27
Posts: 39

Tiyuri allegedly wrote:

Hi there, we've decided we'd like to include map in the next version of hedgewars. If you'd like that and are happy to tweak a few small things, give me a shout on IRC (live chat link on the website if you don't have a client) and we'll discuss it.

Ok, it would be nice Smile Only tell me at what hours I can see you online and I'll write Smile

Spikeymasterman
User offline. Last seen 8 years 34 weeks ago. Offline
Joined: 2010-08-18
Posts: 4

jedza allegedly wrote:


Something like that?
I think I don't have to stick to the reality too much, but if you think it looks better, we'll kep that like that Smile

Perfect Crown Smile

And What I Meant with the Blank Space was Put Some Made Up Names Like Melon Bridge, Hellish Station(Hellish Hand Grenade) or Hedgeford Street(Oxford Street) because on the Buses that is the Kinda Thing they Say(just not made up).

jedza
User offline. Last seen 1 year 45 weeks ago. Offline
Joined: 2010-06-27
Posts: 39

Quote:

And What I Meant with the Blank Space was Put Some Made Up Names Like Melon Bridge, Hellish Station(Hellish Hand Grenade) or Hedgeford Street(Oxford Street) because on the Buses that is the Kinda Thing they Say(just not made up).

I know what you meant Smile
I don't like the "Hellish station", cause we don't know it came from Hellish Hand Grenade. Change it for something else and I'll do that ;]

Star and Moon
Star and Moon's picture
User offline. Last seen 4 days 15 hours ago. Offline
Joined: 2010-04-03
Posts: 715

Spikeymasterman allegedly wrote:

...Put Some Made Up Names Like Melon Bridge, Hellish Station(Hellish Hand Grenade) or Hedgeford Street(Oxford Street)...

How about The Great Minefield, The Enemy's Base Hellish Hand Grenade (I think this one is perfect, why the heck would a bus go there?), Army Training Fields, The Great Melon Lakes, Hogville, The Land of Tiyuri, Stuff like that...

Also, can you post up a newer version of the map soon?

jedza
User offline. Last seen 1 year 45 weeks ago. Offline
Joined: 2010-06-27
Posts: 39


Looks like that now Smile
I love the idea of "The enemy's base". So satanic ^^
And I know why my perspective was all the time wrong. I Didn't know that I have to start from left bottom, when defining a perspective ;]

jedza
User offline. Last seen 1 year 45 weeks ago. Offline
Joined: 2010-06-27
Posts: 39

http://www.sendspace.com/file/pze5id - here's the newer version Smile
It would be nice if insides would be affected by explosions too, because if you destroy the region around it it look really weird. If anyone know how to do that, just tell me Smile

Uncharted
Uncharted's picture
User offline. Last seen 6 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Joined: 2010-08-18
Posts: 69

Cool mapSmile

Smaxx
Smaxx's picture
User offline. Last seen 8 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
Joined: 2009-04-29
Posts: 391

jedza allegedly wrote:

It would be nice if insides would be affected by explosions too, because if you destroy the region around it it look really weird. If anyone know how to do that, just tell me Smile

Unfortunately that's not possible (yet).

Inu
Inu's picture
User offline. Last seen 4 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
Joined: 2009-08-26
Posts: 240

While fun and accurate, all that text kind of doesn't fuse very well with the rest of the picture.
Great job so far. Smile

jedza
User offline. Last seen 1 year 45 weeks ago. Offline
Joined: 2010-06-27
Posts: 39

Inu allegedly wrote:

While fun and accurate, all that text kind of doesn't fuse very well with the rest of the picture.
Great job so far. Smile

You mean font used, or just whole text?

Inu
Inu's picture
User offline. Last seen 4 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
Joined: 2009-08-26
Posts: 240

There is a lot of information in a small little space, so guess it's the whole text I mean.
But don't have any suggestions to "make it better" at the moment. xD
It's just my opinion tho. Smile

jedza
User offline. Last seen 1 year 45 weeks ago. Offline
Joined: 2010-06-27
Posts: 39

Inu allegedly wrote:

There is a lot of information in a small little space, so guess it's the whole text I mean.
But don't have any suggestions to "make it better" at the moment. xD
It's just my opinion tho. Smile

Maybe someone will post better idea then Smile

Spikeymasterman
User offline. Last seen 8 years 34 weeks ago. Offline
Joined: 2010-08-18
Posts: 4

Kinda Reviving a Dead Topic Here. Smile
But you know the box with Hedgeford Street and all that.
Well i think that, the box Should be black and text white so it Oh and just wondering, isnt it suposed to say hedgeford Street and not hedgefort Street

jedza
User offline. Last seen 1 year 45 weeks ago. Offline
Joined: 2010-06-27
Posts: 39

It's already hedgefort Smile

and here is black version Smile

Inu
Inu's picture
User offline. Last seen 4 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
Joined: 2009-08-26
Posts: 240

Black version looks better, maybe you should try with only 3 and 4 lines of text instead of 5 just to check if it doesn't look as cramped and\or better? Just a suggestion, this is a very good map in general. Smile

jedza
User offline. Last seen 1 year 45 weeks ago. Offline
Joined: 2010-06-27
Posts: 39

Inu allegedly wrote:

Black version looks better, maybe you should try with only 3 and 4 lines of text instead of 5 just to check if it doesn't look as cramped and\or better? Just a suggestion, this is a very good map in general. Smile

Spikeymasterman
User offline. Last seen 8 years 34 weeks ago. Offline
Joined: 2010-08-18
Posts: 4

jedza allegedly wrote:

It's already hedgefort Smile

and here is black version Smile

Oops wrote it wrong.Smile
What I meant was did you Change it from hedgeforD to hedgeforT

jedza
User offline. Last seen 1 year 45 weeks ago. Offline
Joined: 2010-06-27
Posts: 39

http://www.sendspace.com/file/p0qabk
here's the most recent playable version

Copyright © 2004-2017 Hedgewars Project. All rights reserved. [ contact ]