Girder Experiment

11 replies [Last post]
Luelle
User offline. Last seen 1 year 26 weeks ago. Offline
Joined: 2010-11-26
Posts: 72

Hi!

For some themes i tested to use other girder graphics, to have new options for special game modes.

For example i made this one:
http://imgur.com/Yq4go

But there is one problem: in singelplayer it's no problem to place and use them, but online with a friend (yes, he had saved the amgirder.png in the same theme-folder...) it doesn't work.

You can place them, but after turn you get an error message.

Can somebody help?

.

PS: If this makes a difference: I play on MAC, my friend on WIN-PC.

Luelle
User offline. Last seen 1 year 26 weeks ago. Offline
Joined: 2010-11-26
Posts: 72

No one?

Just want to know, if it's possible, to change girders in their form (in colour seems to work) for a theme. Thanks!

nemo
nemo's picture
User offline. Last seen 1 day 1 hour ago. Offline
Joined: 2009-01-28
Posts: 1720

Luelle allegedly wrote:

No one?

Just want to know, if it's possible, to change girders in their form (in colour seems to work) for a theme. Thanks!

It is possible. You can do shape too. I wanted icicles on the snow theme ones, I'm just not very graphically inclined.
Remember it is amGirder.png not amgirder.png - some OSes are case sensitivity aware.

Your friend might not have placed it in the right location. On a Linux machine the user override would be ~/.hedgewars/Data/Themes/NameOfTheme

PLEASE if you change the shape by even one pixel, create a new theme to test it in (just bulk copy the old theme) to avoid people thinking they can play a game with you without desynchronising.

Changing the colour is fine so long as the shape stays *exactly* the same.

--
Oh, what the heck. 1PLXzL1CBUD1kdEWqMrwNUfGrGiirV1WpH <= tip a hedgewars dev

Luelle
User offline. Last seen 1 year 26 weeks ago. Offline
Joined: 2010-11-26
Posts: 72

Thanks for answer!

All the cases were correct.
-i made new themes, we tested it both in them
-friend copied whole folder to ~/data/themes/, so must have been the right place (friend was sitting next to me with his laptop)
-right spelling (amGirder.png)

The selfmade themes work without the amGirder.png, and it worked with it as long as no one uses the girder.
But if one of us set a girder, it wasn't shown on the screen of the other one.
Was funny, cause on one screen you walk on the girder, on the other you walk in the same direction without girder... Wink Smiley
And if this hog dies/hurts on one screen (falling into water for example, because of missing girder) or if the turn was ended, you get an error massage and the match crashes.

I think, we have to test it once again...
I will a have look on the details and give a report.

nemo
nemo's picture
User offline. Last seen 1 day 1 hour ago. Offline
Joined: 2009-01-28
Posts: 1720

Thanks for answer!

All the cases were correct.
-i made new themes, we tested it both in them

Luelle allegedly wrote:

-friend copied whole folder to ~/data/themes/, so must have been the right place (friend was sitting next to me with his laptop)

~/.hedgewars/Data/Themes
NOT
~/data/themes

Link me to one of the themes you made please.

--
Oh, what the heck. 1PLXzL1CBUD1kdEWqMrwNUfGrGiirV1WpH <= tip a hedgewars dev

Luelle
User offline. Last seen 1 year 26 weeks ago. Offline
Joined: 2010-11-26
Posts: 72

Sorry, had no time last days.

Here ist one theme with a self-created girder: Burger.zip
Works in singleplayer, not in multiplayer mode.

Would be cool, if this will work, because I was thinking about this old thread and have an idea to put this mode into practice.

nemo
nemo's picture
User offline. Last seen 1 day 1 hour ago. Offline
Joined: 2009-01-28
Posts: 1720

The theme seems fine. The path you described (~/data/themes) is not.

Also, since the file was not packed including the normal path for DLC content, it would actually have to be unzipped in:
~/.hedgewars/Data/Themes

Oh, and make sure they restart hedgewars.

--
Oh, what the heck. 1PLXzL1CBUD1kdEWqMrwNUfGrGiirV1WpH <= tip a hedgewars dev

Wuzzy
Wuzzy's picture
User offline. Last seen 1 hour 52 min ago. Offline
Joined: 2012-06-20
Posts: 1089

Hello! On my Hedgewars installation I have discovered something very interesting:

It looks like the whole girder square (there squere where the girder is drawn) is treated like terrain. I was able to make this square visible by making a stunt with the ninja rope.
Big Grin

This square totally behaves like normal terrain; you also can blast it away and there is the blast circle in "nothing".

This effect seems to occour on all girder shapes of the posted file.

This effect also occours on the "pommes" girders in that old burger theme.

This all happens in singleplayer.

I guess I have found what causes this strange behaviour.
I have experimented with GIMP a bit. If you export this image as PNG and do not save the background color in the PNG export, the girders work as they should. But if you additionally save the background color, you have this strange square bug. Can any developer confirm this?

I am not quite sure wheather this relates directly to the problem described by the thread starter.

I am running the Arch Linux build 0.9.18-3.

Edit: There is now an image showing the problem.

Hi, I am a Hedgewars developer. Smile I accept personal donations in bitcoin. Heart 17fsUywHxeMHKG41UFfu34F1rAxZcrVoqH

Luelle
User offline. Last seen 1 year 26 weeks ago. Offline
Joined: 2010-11-26
Posts: 72

Nemo: Yesterday the friend had the time to test it again. You're right -> we used the wrong folder. I didn't realize there are two 'themes' folder.
BUT: In the other one it doesn't work too.

Wuzzy: You're german, right? Dann kannste es mir besser in deutsch erklären. Wink Smiley
Mein Englisch ist nicht mehr so gut... Hab GIMP für mein MacBook und Photoshop für den PC. Wie kann ich den Hintergrund in einer PNG nicht mitspeichern? Der ist doch eh transparent?
Danke für Hilfe!

nemo
nemo's picture
User offline. Last seen 1 day 1 hour ago. Offline
Joined: 2009-01-28
Posts: 1720

Wuzzy allegedly wrote:

Hello! On my Hedgewars installation I have discovered something very interesting:

It looks like the whole girder square (there squere where the girder is drawn) is treated like terrain. I was able to make this square visible by making a stunt with the ninja rope.
Big Grin

This square totally behaves like normal terrain; you also can blast it away and there is the blast circle in "nothing".

This effect seems to occour on all girder shapes of the posted file.

This effect also occours on the "pommes" girders in that old burger theme.

This all happens in singleplayer.

I guess I have found what causes this strange behaviour.
I have experimented with GIMP a bit. If you export this image as PNG and do not save the background color in the PNG export, the girders work as they should. But if you additionally save the background color, you have this strange square bug. Can any developer confirm this?

I am not quite sure wheather this relates directly to the problem described by the thread starter.

I am running the Arch Linux build 0.9.18-3.

No idea what theme that is from, but that "bug" occurs if there is a non-zero alpha value after the PNG is loaded by SDL.
Even an alpha of 0.4% is enough for "solidity"
Background colour should have no impact at all, but you might have accidentally cleaned up the image.
Can't really say more without a link to the original file tho.

--
Oh, what the heck. 1PLXzL1CBUD1kdEWqMrwNUfGrGiirV1WpH <= tip a hedgewars dev

nemo
nemo's picture
User offline. Last seen 1 day 1 hour ago. Offline
Joined: 2009-01-28
Posts: 1720

Luelle allegedly wrote:

Nemo: Yesterday the friend had the time to test it again. You're right -> we used the wrong folder. I didn't realize there are two 'themes' folder.
BUT: In the other one it doesn't work too.

I bet the path is still wrong. probably incorrect case sensitivity or something.
Until your friend pastebins the output of:
find ~/.hedgewars/Data

And proves he got the path right this time, I'm sticking with that theory. Oh. He might also have not restarted after installing it I guess.

As for 2 theme folders. There's also the system one. But users shouldn't be writing to that one, that's why one was added to the user directory for DLC.

--
Oh, what the heck. 1PLXzL1CBUD1kdEWqMrwNUfGrGiirV1WpH <= tip a hedgewars dev

Luelle
User offline. Last seen 1 year 26 weeks ago. Offline
Joined: 2010-11-26
Posts: 72

I've spoken to my friend and he sent me screenshots.
I sent him a new theme and we put them into the following folder:

His paths:
~Programme/Hedgewars 0.9.18/hedgewars/Data/Themes ("Programme" is german = Applications)
~Bibliotheken/Dokumente/Hedgewars/Data/Themes ("Bibliotheken" is german = Library)

My paths:
~Applications/Hedgewars/Contents/Resources/hedgewars/Data/Themes
~Library/Application Support/Hedgewars/Data/Themes

We were testing all 4 combination.
Every time we can play until one of us uses an amGirder.

more facts:
-it didn't work in 0.9.17 and it doesn't work in 0.9.18.
-case sensitivity: we didn't change any folder title and my friend just copied my themes into them. Can't be the mistake.
-restart was made everytime
-right spelling (amGirder.png)

Copyright © 2004-2017 Hedgewars Project. All rights reserved. [ contact ]