Jungle background music

17 replies [Last post]
Wuzzy
Wuzzy's picture
User is online Online
Joined: 2012-06-20
Posts: 1063

Here’s a background music for the Jungle theme.

Download link: Hedgewars Jungle.ogg (2.9 MiB)

Someone called “antiplur” posted this in IRC and I repost this here because I think it’s great.

I like it, just one thing: It is not loopable. You clearly notice when the loop is over. So … the music should be loopable of course. Wink Smiley

Hi, I am a Hedgewars developer. Smile I accept personal donations in bitcoin. Heart 17fsUywHxeMHKG41UFfu34F1rAxZcrVoqH

oranebeast
User offline. Last seen 4 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
Joined: 2013-06-10
Posts: 104

Thx really good, But reminds me of something, not sure what that is though Annoyed

{} {}
\___/ - Happy

sheepluva
sheepluva's picture
User offline. Last seen 1 week 5 days ago. Offline
Joined: 2009-07-18
Posts: 527

Not bad.

Author and licence?

My favorite so far was Bunga Bunga's Jungle by Maxime Ferrieu.

(I tried to contact him back in april, but never got a reply ^^)

The track you linked fits the game better I guess though Smile

  sheepluva <- me  my code stats -> 
a Hedgewars Developer


   <- where I'm from  what I speak -> 

nemo
nemo's picture
User offline. Last seen 39 min 11 sec ago. Offline
Joined: 2009-01-28
Posts: 1704

antiplur posted it as a first draft, expressed some interest in hedgewars music, but haven't seen him much on IRC since.

--
Oh, what the heck. 1PLXzL1CBUD1kdEWqMrwNUfGrGiirV1WpH <= tip a hedgewars dev

Wuzzy
Wuzzy's picture
User is online Online
Joined: 2012-06-20
Posts: 1063

So is this going into the trash bin just because of stupid license shit?
Sad Smiley

Hi, I am a Hedgewars developer. Smile I accept personal donations in bitcoin. Heart 17fsUywHxeMHKG41UFfu34F1rAxZcrVoqH

nemo
nemo's picture
User offline. Last seen 39 min 11 sec ago. Offline
Joined: 2009-01-28
Posts: 1704

Well, it is probably going to be trashed because antiplur disappeared without giving us permission to use it. Not to mention he was still working on it, so it would be doubly rude, as well as illegal.

He's on sound cloud though. Try contacting him?

--
Oh, what the heck. 1PLXzL1CBUD1kdEWqMrwNUfGrGiirV1WpH <= tip a hedgewars dev

Wuzzy
Wuzzy's picture
User is online Online
Joined: 2012-06-20
Posts: 1063

Noooooo … Sad Smiley
I don’t think it would be against antiplur’s intention to include the music into Hedgewars.
It would be very strange IMO to show up in #hedgewars, show off his music skills and say something like “Hey look what awesome tune I have for you!”. Then, after some folks, including me, get interested, he replies “Oh, you want to have that track which I especially composed for Hedgewars’ Jungle and you want it to have in Hedgewars so badly? No, I won’t let you! Nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh! :P”
Well, such behaviour would be considered a major trolling attempt by me. And it wouldn’t make any sense. Why would anyone first create something especially for Hedgewars and then forbidding any usage in Hedgewars? What a waste of time that’d be! I consider it highly unlikely that antiplur is a copyright troll which would sue Hedgewars out of existance for the slightest copyright violation.

And in general, I think free software projects like Hedgewars are taking copyright issues sometimes WAY too serious. As if there’s a copyright issue at all! I’ve seen proprietary software projects more relaxed about copyright issues. So don’t be holier than the pope!

Regarding antiplur: I know very little about antiplur and the soundcloud page does not provide any useful contact data for me. Maybe I don’t just get it. Whatever, does anyone have contact data of antiplur?

And does anyone still have the soundcloud link to the Jungle track? I seem to have lost it …

Hi, I am a Hedgewars developer. Smile I accept personal donations in bitcoin. Heart 17fsUywHxeMHKG41UFfu34F1rAxZcrVoqH

oranebeast
User offline. Last seen 4 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
Joined: 2013-06-10
Posts: 104

Technically i believe that free projects kind of avoid many copyright issues because there free

{} {}
\___/ - Happy

sheepluva
sheepluva's picture
User offline. Last seen 1 week 5 days ago. Offline
Joined: 2009-07-18
Posts: 527

Wuzzy allegedly wrote:

And does anyone still have the soundcloud link to the Jungle track? I seem to have lost it …

I'm afraid the links he provided all 404'd ==> [ 1 | 2 | 3 ]

  sheepluva <- me  my code stats -> 
a Hedgewars Developer


   <- where I'm from  what I speak -> 

antiPLUR
User offline. Last seen 5 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
Joined: 2013-12-26
Posts: 4

HEllo, this is the aforementioned antiPLUR. Let me address some things in this thread:

Quote:
antiplur posted it as a first draft, expressed some interest in hedgewars music, but haven't seen him much on IRC since.

I came onto IRC because I was interested in writing music for hedgewars. I submitted an idea (found above), and was told that it could not be used because it did not sound like the rest of the soundtrack. While I understand the practical implications of this, I personally do not wish to work on a project where I have so little creative control.

I made quite a stretch even coming up with that demo. This is an example of my usual stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBeOnUM0tc8

As you can see, I am a bit out of my element. I would still be willing to work on this project if I had more creative control if not for what you are about to read below

Quote:
So is this going into the trash bin just because of stupid license shit?

Quote:
Noooooo … Sad Smiley
I don’t think it would be against antiplur’s intention to include the music into Hedgewars.
It would be very strange IMO to show up in #hedgewars, show off his music skills and say something like “Hey look what awesome tune I have for you!”. Then, after some folks, including me, get interested, he replies “Oh, you want to have that track which I especially composed for Hedgewars’ Jungle and you want it to have in Hedgewars so badly? No, I won’t let you! Nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh! :P”
Well, such behaviour would be considered a major trolling attempt by me. And it wouldn’t make any sense. Why would anyone first create something especially for Hedgewars and then forbidding any usage in Hedgewars? What a waste of time that’d be! I consider it highly unlikely that antiplur is a copyright troll which would sue Hedgewars out of existance for the slightest copyright violation.

And in general, I think free software projects like Hedgewars are taking copyright issues sometimes WAY too serious. As if there’s a copyright issue at all! I’ve seen proprietary software projects more relaxed about copyright issues. So don’t be holier than the pope!

Regarding antiplur: I know very little about antiplur and the soundcloud page does not provide any useful contact data for me. Maybe I don’t just get it. Whatever, does anyone have contact data of antiplur?

And does anyone still have the soundcloud link to the Jungle track? I seem to have lost it …

Quote:
Technically i believe that free projects kind of avoid many copyright issues because there free

After reading these, it is blatantly obvious that my integrity as an artist will not be respected here. I once considered releasing some things under creative commons, and this sense of entitlement and "GIMME FREE STUFF NAO" demanding attitude is why I chose not to.

I don't mind working on a project where I will not be paid. I do, however, mind working on a project where I will not be respected. I suggest the majority of you in this thread re evaluate the definitions and concepts of art, as well as what the spirit of "open-source" really means. Its about breaking down the integrity of copyright and freeing art (yes programming is an art) from the industry, not breaking down the integrity of artists. I am actually quite a bit disgusted after reading these. I'm not a copyright troll, and I'm not going to sue you, but I'm not going to work with you either.

Quote:
Well, it is probably going to be trashed because antiplur disappeared without giving us permission to use it. Not to mention he was still working on it, so it would be doubly rude, as well as illegal.

He's on sound cloud though. Try contacting him?

At least someone here has some sense.

Regards,

antiPLUR

Wuzzy
Wuzzy's picture
User is online Online
Joined: 2012-06-20
Posts: 1063

I do not know your ethics, so I don’t know in which point I may have disrespected your integrity. I certainly did not want to disrespect you as a person or an artist.

I said that I disrespect/dislike the idea of copyright itself. Which is different.

It is indeed true that artists have, in general, little creative control here. Any art, especially so for themes, has to fit to the “Hedgewars style” here to be included into Hedgewars. One can still make graphics and music and ignoring the style, but it won’t be official part of Hedgewars then. I know, this is hardly motivating. Wink Smiley While the “Hedgewars style” is explitit for themes, I haven’t ever heard of any guidelines for music, which makes me wonder why it was “rejected” in IRC. The reason “it does not fit to the other songs” is a too vague to me and probably even insulting.
(I just hope I did not ask you to give up too much creative control when I suggested to make the song loopable. I suggested that because all in-game songs in Hedgewars are played in loops.)
When I think of it, it’s kind of strange that a free and open source project is so closed-minded when it comes to art.
Therefore, I fully understand and respect that you do not wish to contribute under these conditions.

Hi, I am a Hedgewars developer. Smile I accept personal donations in bitcoin. Heart 17fsUywHxeMHKG41UFfu34F1rAxZcrVoqH

antiPLUR
User offline. Last seen 5 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
Joined: 2013-12-26
Posts: 4

I think I'm more insulted over the "Release it; he probably wont sue us anyway" mentality. Anyway good luck with your project.

nemo
nemo's picture
User offline. Last seen 39 min 11 sec ago. Offline
Joined: 2009-01-28
Posts: 1704

I hadn't outright rejected it, not really my call.

antiplur had asked for feedback, and I said it sounded a bit "8 bit videogamey" unlike the rest of the themes, which went for a more lighthearted cartooniness or ethereal.
I said so since, well, he asked. At the time, it seemed like he both wanted input, and wanted to make changes.

antiplur, if you like, can put up the logs so people can judge for themselves.

Frankly, in matters of art, I'm hardly a good judge, so I usually try to ping Tiy or palewolf or HSR or anyone I can find to decide what fits and what doesn't. It might well have gone in without changes.

But you're right, that there's no total creative control. The game has a (mostly) unified feel, and that's what generally impresses people, is a high quality of consistent art - polished appearance.

If you want to just make whatever though, will be happy to host it on DLC.

Feel free to come by IRC to discuss this if you wish.

--
Oh, what the heck. 1PLXzL1CBUD1kdEWqMrwNUfGrGiirV1WpH <= tip a hedgewars dev

antiPLUR
User offline. Last seen 5 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
Joined: 2013-12-26
Posts: 4

Maybe I am not being clear. I really don't care whether or not the song was refused, and this isn't about creative control. I was simply clarifying the background information.

What this is really about is several people in this thread saying that it would be ok to use my work without permission simply because its unlikely that I will sue. This is what I mean by lack of respect for my integrity.

And no, I really have no desire to discuss anything further with any of you.

nemo
nemo's picture
User offline. Last seen 39 min 11 sec ago. Offline
Joined: 2009-01-28
Posts: 1704

antiPLUR allegedly wrote:

Maybe I am not being clear. I really don't care whether or not the song was refused, and this isn't about creative control. I was simply clarifying the background information.

What this is really about is several people in this thread saying that it would be ok to use my work without permission simply because its unlikely that I will sue. This is what I mean by lack of respect for my integrity.

And no, I really have no desire to discuss anything further with any of you.

I think you have to draw a distinction between a game and its players. This is a community forum...
I'm sorry that you had a bad experience here, but I assure you that Hedgewars would not add any content of yours without your consent.

--
Oh, what the heck. 1PLXzL1CBUD1kdEWqMrwNUfGrGiirV1WpH <= tip a hedgewars dev

Wuzzy
Wuzzy's picture
User is online Online
Joined: 2012-06-20
Posts: 1063

antiPLUR allegedly wrote:
I personally do not wish to work on a project where I have so little creative control.

You are confusing me. First you said you don’t want to work on the project because you would have too little creative control.
After I and nemo confirmed this, you went on with this:

antiPLUR allegedly wrote:
I really don't care whether or not the song was refused, and this isn't about creative control.

Which is the exact opposite of what you said previously.

antiPLUR allegedly wrote:
What this is really about is several people in this thread saying that it would be ok to use my work without permission simply because its unlikely that I will sue. This is what I mean by lack of respect for my integrity.

This point confuses me even more. You said in the same post that you neither care about creative control nor about us reusing your work. But if you don’t care about reuse, why do you care about reuse without your permission?
This does not make sense to me.
If I were an artist and I would not care about anyone (!) who reuses the work I created, well, then I logically don’t care about people who it without my permission, because “everyone who reuses it” is a superset of “everyone who reuses it without my permission”.

So I stick to my position because I can’t see anything which is morally or logically wrong with it in this certain case.

Hi, I am a Hedgewars developer. Smile I accept personal donations in bitcoin. Heart 17fsUywHxeMHKG41UFfu34F1rAxZcrVoqH

antiPLUR
User offline. Last seen 5 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
Joined: 2013-12-26
Posts: 4

Wuzzy

Are you confusing the word "refuse" with "re-use"? Is English your first language?

With regards to the "creative control" statement, I was citing my initial reason for leaving this project. I no longer care about creative control as I am not working on this project any more. What I do care about is the disregard for my terms of use with regards to my own work (namely that you do not have permission to use it)

I agree there is a problem with intellectual property legislation in today's world, and I support the open source model, as well as the creative commons license. These designations are voluntary though, and when you disregard the wishes of an artist regarding their work (no matter the medium), this is not "freedom" of intellectual property, it is "piracy" of intellectual property. There is a big difference between "free" and "pirated".

This isn't open for debate, and I'm not going to have a logic **** waving competition with any of you.

Bottom line: You do not have permission to use my work.

Quote:
I think you have to draw a distinction between a game and its players. This is a community forum...
I'm sorry that you had a bad experience here, but I assure you that Hedgewars would not add any content of yours without your consent.

According to Nemo, it won't be used and so this is a moot point anyway.

oranebeast
User offline. Last seen 4 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
Joined: 2013-06-10
Posts: 104

Actually Wuzzy is Russian so English is probably not his first language

Now lets pretend none of this ever happened and we did not here antiPLUR's music in the first place. We will just continue hedging the wars and finding interesting things to do like scripts, bugs, tournaments, features and overall fun.
I'm getting a little sick of this post. Especially because im writing it on my bday.
Smile

{} {}
\___/ - Happy

Copyright © 2004-2017 Hedgewars Project. All rights reserved. [ contact ]