Hedgewars on Steam Greenlight? FAQ, Discussion, related Links

65 replies [Last post]
dgmurdockiii
User offline. Last seen 1 week 6 days ago. Offline
Joined: 2010-06-12
Posts: 20

francot514 allegedly wrote:

linuxkernel allegedly wrote:

Read my comment above

I do know how to publish on steam, what i need help with to compile a version that is steam exclusive and change its license usage and other steps.

join the IRC channel on freenode server on channel #hedgewars and talk with the devs about getting this done that would be easer than posting on forum

nemo
nemo's picture
User offline. Last seen 2 days 4 hours ago. Offline
Joined: 2009-01-28
Posts: 1540

I just want to know what on earth he means by "change the license"
That's not going to happen.

--
Oh, what the heck. 1PLXzL1CBUD1kdEWqMrwNUfGrGiirV1WpH <= tip a hedgewars dev

francot514
User offline. Last seen 5 days 3 hours ago. Offline
Joined: 2015-03-20
Posts: 139

nemo allegedly wrote:

I just want to know what on earth he means by "change the license"
That's not going to happen.

Hey nemo, as you know i posted it on Greenlight past time and were rejected by steam because they claimed i dont was propietary, so i will need to do myself a different version that change license (or maybe not needed) to be able to publish the game into Steam platform.

Lyberta
Lyberta's picture
User offline. Last seen 8 hours 3 min ago. Offline
Joined: 2016-09-10
Posts: 146

You don't have the right to change license.

nemo
nemo's picture
User offline. Last seen 2 days 4 hours ago. Offline
Joined: 2009-01-28
Posts: 1540

We've considered license tweaks many times in past but it's rather difficult due to sheer number of contributors to track down.

We could try one w/ core devs and just be prepared to pull code if anyone complained but no idea if that would be acceptable to Steam, and still a hassle to do just for them.

--
Oh, what the heck. 1PLXzL1CBUD1kdEWqMrwNUfGrGiirV1WpH <= tip a hedgewars dev

Lyberta
Lyberta's picture
User offline. Last seen 8 hours 3 min ago. Offline
Joined: 2016-09-10
Posts: 146

I'm pretty sure as long as you don't link to Steamworks, you can use any license you have legal rights to.

francot514
User offline. Last seen 5 days 3 hours ago. Offline
Joined: 2015-03-20
Posts: 139

Lyberta allegedly wrote:

I'm pretty sure as long as you don't link to Steamworks, you can use any license you have legal rights to.

Ok, you so say publish it without steam features like achivements, badges or other?

sheepluva
sheepluva's picture
User offline. Last seen 10 hours 43 min ago. Offline
Joined: 2009-07-18
Posts: 522

francot514 allegedly wrote:

Hey nemo, as you know i posted it on Greenlight past time and were rejected by steam because they claimed i dont was propietary, so i will need to do myself a different version that change license (or maybe not needed) to be able to publish the game into Steam platform.

Could you please sent a copy of the original statement by steam/valve about this to me in a PM or to sheepluva{at}ercatec{dot}net

  sheepluva <- me  my code stats -> 
a Hedgewars Developer


   <- where I'm from  what I speak -> 

Lyberta
Lyberta's picture
User offline. Last seen 8 hours 3 min ago. Offline
Joined: 2016-09-10
Posts: 146

francot514 allegedly wrote:

Ok, you so say publish it without steam features like achivements, badges or other?

I would definitely strongly oppose using proprietary crap.

@sheepluva Since Hedgewars is GPL, it can't be linked to proprietary code. That is the biggest strength of GPL.

nemo
nemo's picture
User offline. Last seen 2 days 4 hours ago. Offline
Joined: 2009-01-28
Posts: 1540

Oh. Lol. Yeah hell no to that steam badge crap.
The few apps I've installed off steam I'd love to know how to turn that stuff off...
But, yes, it *seems* this is mostly about people wanting all their apps in steam or something instead of having to install an exe due to the historic lack of integrated application stores/package managers in windows. So I don't see why that steam badge stuff would be necessary to satisfy this.

--
Oh, what the heck. 1PLXzL1CBUD1kdEWqMrwNUfGrGiirV1WpH <= tip a hedgewars dev

francot514
User offline. Last seen 5 days 3 hours ago. Offline
Joined: 2015-03-20
Posts: 139

nemo allegedly wrote:

Oh. Lol. Yeah hell no to that steam badge crap.
The few apps I've installed off steam I'd love to know how to turn that stuff off...
But, yes, it *seems* this is mostly about people wanting all their apps in steam or something instead of having to install an exe due to the historic lack of integrated application stores/package managers in windows. So I don't see why that steam badge stuff would be necessary to satisfy this.

Sure is not needed, but would be always cool to have it for this game, that deserves a better marketing and acknowledge opportunities.

KoBeWi
KoBeWi's picture
User is online Online
Joined: 2010-12-25
Posts: 392

francot514 allegedly wrote:
this game, that deserves a better marketing
>marketing
>free game

Hmmm...

ALTHOUGH, that's not impossible if you think about it. If the game gets popular on Steam, people might want to support it financially. I know you take donations, however this doesn't always seem to be popular among player. I mean, if they use Steam, they'd rather use that for donations. Sooo... maybe sort of DLC hat? There are already some hats in game for ppl who donated, so there could be some Steam-exclusive DLC hat, for people who just want to throw money and they don't use regular donations. That sounds like some option, but rather unlikely, knowing the approach here for anything that has something to do with proprietary stuff.

Maybe forget about this post then.

Theme Editor / Code contributions / WIP
"Official" themes:
Crystal | Belly | Dreamland | Sky | Factory | Beehive | Fire |
Slime
"Unofficial" themes:
Chalk | Bowser | GIRDERZZZ!!! | Mirage | Sudra | Zombie |
Grindea
Contributed themes:
Cyberspace

Lyberta
Lyberta's picture
User offline. Last seen 8 hours 3 min ago. Offline
Joined: 2016-09-10
Posts: 146

KoBeWi allegedly wrote:
There are already some hats in game for ppl who donated

WHAT?!

Wuzzy
Wuzzy's picture
User offline. Last seen 5 hours 7 min ago. Offline
Joined: 2012-06-20
Posts: 895

I thought Steam Greenlight is dead, so how is this discussion still relevant?

KoBeWi
KoBeWi's picture
User is online Online
Joined: 2010-12-25
Posts: 392

Greenlight was replaced with Steam Direct, so only the topic title is irrelevant here.

Theme Editor / Code contributions / WIP
"Official" themes:
Crystal | Belly | Dreamland | Sky | Factory | Beehive | Fire |
Slime
"Unofficial" themes:
Chalk | Bowser | GIRDERZZZ!!! | Mirage | Sudra | Zombie |
Grindea
Contributed themes:
Cyberspace

Copyright © 2004-2017 Hedgewars Project. All rights reserved. [ contact ]