here are a couple of background news that occurred lately, regarding Mac, iOS and GSoC
* A new build of 0.9.15 has been published on the MacAppStore to grant compatibility with upcoming Lion OSX; per "compatibility" i mean a crash due to a bug/ABI change that prevents the engine to open. Please update if you wish to play under Lion;
* We took some time to write the guide to compile Hedgewars on iOS here; please try it out and send comments
* Unfortunately the GSoC project for improving AI has been cancelled due to lack of communication
In the upcoming weeks it will happen that
- an iOS 1.3 version should be published
- hopefully a guide for building the Android versioin will be added to the wiki
- we will review and release the midterm evaluation for the remaining GSoC project
That's all for now
We've got sound!
Because everyone likes eyecandy:
I've changed from the unofficial SDL port to the Official one. That's why i don't have onscreen buttons on this version.
The problems i hope to solve on a short term in this order are:
- Automatic downloading of the graphics/sounds/etc
- Fix the user input, right now the hedgewars engine *thinks* it's dealing with a mouse, obviously this doesn't work like it should
- Get an AI vs AI match going
I've nearly completed a guide on how to build the application yourself once i have I'll let you guys know :)
I'm happy to announce the first sign of Hedgewars on Android has been spotted:
And a picture from my other phone who's quality is much better:
Congrats to Christoph, and thanks to all who joined in (and especially those of you who saw the tournament through to the end, not so many of you! :)
Most of the games should be in the Demos tab, though I haven't been chasing people up for them. If someone could collect them all in one archive I'd be very grateful!
on request I shall make some progress updates every now and then!
At the moment progress is going slower than I'd like this is mostly because I do have a lot of (home)work to do for the Uni, however once I've finished this year (in a week / 2 weeks) I'll be able to spend a lot more time and a lot more progress will be made I am sure.
At the moment I am (still) stuck on cross compiling the hedgewars engine.
For those interested a brief explanation (for those not stop reading....*here*):
Hedgewars' engine is written in FreePasal this isn't supported by Google/Android so I cannot use the standard Native Development Environment. The main problem at the moment is just getting every library which the engines expects to be present on the system to provide.
For example you've all installed SDL on your computers, because I can't ask Android users to do the same I must provide these myself, which needs to be cross compiled too. Which in turn bring more issues.
The other issue is some libraries have different names or are present in another form on the Android device, for this an exception must be made in the hedgewars code.
The main problem on which I'm struggling right now is that opengl calls crash the applications. It seems like the opengl context isn't initialized properly, this should be done by SDL, which might fail to do so..
This all just means I've got to go from error to error, verify what's missing/going wrong and fix it! It's not hard, but does take time
I hope not too many posts from now on I will be able to include a demo you guys can run on your devices. But it's hard to put any kind of date on anything at this moment
Ps. I am posting some more detailed stuff on my personal blog for those interested: www.xelification.com