Hi there, it's Star and Moon here, and I have some news:
It's been way over a month now since we've received an update to PAotH comics, but they've finally returned, and I will be posting them all on schedule again, which is one comic per week (and sometimes more). To view the latest comics, visit here or here.
Also, you may have noticed I've stopped posting the PAotH comics on the news page, this is only temporary, due to certain cameo appearances, and you should see the comics coming back here again!
Have a good day, and happy late new year.
And now, I leave you with this exciting picture of a hedgehog weilding a Rainbow Rod.
Just a quick post to announce 25 new tasks available for GCI participants and a new download for OS X (64bit) which fixes a strange crasher with "The Specialists" mode.
Update: make that 50! We have a total of 100 tasks
Amazing news just arrived!
Although we had no plans to participate to GCI this year, we got involved the same! The good guys at the Copyleft Game Group invited our team to provide a few tasks and mentoring power.
And so we did, we just submitted around 40 tasks that students from 13 to 17 years of age will be able to tackle, along with the other 100 tasks from the group and thousands from all the other GCI organizations.
We finely tuned the tasks to be well self contained and precise, giving pointers to where to start working. Many tasks do not involve coding at all and were designed to simplify approaching open source projects. Being in a larger group also help leverage the load of mentoring so we believe this year will go smooth.
Head over http://gci.copyleftgames.org and start browsing the group task, spread the word with your friends about GCI and get involved in FOSS!
Happy Halloween everyone! AKA Hedgewars Birthday.
So it's been a while since the last release, so, quite a lot has accumulated.
Not everything that was planned has been completed, but hopefully future releases won't be a year apart so they should be added Soon®.
Right. On to the goodies.
* Hedgewars now has a campaign! It should hopefully be expanded and interface polished in future releases. This was a GSoC project.
* Another GSoC project, video recording! Use the 'r' key to start/stop recording video. Video management is on the frontpage.
* PNG screenshots, to make sharing screenshots more convenient.
* What would a release be without new weapons? The meat cleaver is the latest addition. The harder you throw it, the more damage it does. Cleavers also work well for climbing or blocking entrances.
* The AI is now a lot more evil. Set it to maximum level to get the full effect. It knows how to use cake, sniper rifle and kamikaze, as well as aiming shots to drown hedgehogs or do fall damage. It has also gotten more effective at a number of existing weapons, and can move around the map more intelligently.
* Drawn maps now have variable pen width, and an eraser tool. Note that the eraser does increase the size of the drawn map network traffic, so don't use it as a substitute for undo.
* Static maps no longer have size limits. Please use this sanely, since not everyone has a machine with 16 gigs of memory like you do.
* New missions such as portal and rope training.
* Customised team colours!
This formal title is for demonstrating that we are improving our release skills!
Wow, our beta program has been a huge success, lots of downloads and user feedbacks! More than 30 bugs were found in just this little time (~20 of them just by vos, hats off) and we've been busy fixing everything we could.
A few bugfix have been planned for a future release (1.0.0 maybe) and some other could have completely slipped, but we plan to respect our self-imposed release date of 31st October!
Without further ado, I present you the Release Candidates, which are the best approximation of the final version you are going to download in a few days.
Even better than beta, these versions are *immediately* available for download. As always please report any issue in our cozy bug tracker