Building on Windows
These build instructions are very outdated. Try to build under GNU/Linux
, if you can.
If you have managed to get a successful Windows build for a recent Hedgewars build, please get in touch with us (Try the forums, for example: https://hedgewars.org/forum)
Things to download
First of all, please use this guide over here ( http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/find-out-32-or-64-bit)
to see whether your OS is 32 or 64 bit. You will need it while doing the setup.
FreePascal? - download the Download as installer
Qt SDK - Select the online installer, as it will save you ~1 GB of bandwidth. Nokia will also require you to register an account to download it.
Mercurial - pick one (TortoiseHg has a GUI and is more user-friendly)
- CMake - download the Windows (Win32 Installer)
Windows building archive - it contains everything you need to compile Hedgewars on Windows.
- TortoiseHg? - Chose one based on your OS version
- Install CMake, but please ensure you select "Add CMake to the system PATH for all users", so you can run CMake directly from command line.
- Install FreePascal.
- Install Qt SDK, with the "Custom" option:
Install TortoiseHg? / Mercurial
Restart the computer
Download the Hedgewars source:
- Click the DESELECT ALL button. We will then check only what we need
- Check Qt SDK/Miscellaneous/MinGW <any version>
- Check Qt SDK/Development Tools/Desktop Qt/Qt <newest version>/Desktop Qt <newest version> - Mingw
- !!If there are any error message boxes, just press ignore until they are all gone. :)
- Using TortoiseHg?
- Right-click in any folder on your computer
- Select Tortoise HG -> Clone.
- In the Source textbox enter: https://hg.hedgewars.org/hedgewars/
- Press clone
- Using command-line Mercurial
- If you have Windows 7 skip the next 3 steps, and instead, SHIFT + Right click in the folder where you want to download the source.
- Start Run... ( WINDOWS Key + R , or Start -> Run... )
- Navigate to where you want to download the source
- Type and execute ( The initial clone of the repository will take a while, is about 550MiB or so... ):
hg clone https://hg.hedgewars.org/hedgewars/ trunk
- Navigate to the where you cloned the repository source to.
- Go to the "tools/build_windows.bat" file, and modify the following:
You can now build hedgewars, by running the tools/build_windows.bat command.
After building it, you can run it from the Desktop - using the Hedgewars shortcut.
- SET PASCAL=<put the path to the directory that contains fpc's executable (fpc.exe)> (for example: c:\FPC\2.4.4\bin\i386-win32\)
- SET SET QTDIR=<path to the QtSDK\Desktop\Qt\<your version>> (for example: c:\QtSDK\Desktop\Qt\4.8.1\)
Additional setup for Visual Studio 2010
To build Hedgewars using Visual Studio 2010, you will need to update a few SDL files using this zip file (http://hedgewars.googlecode.com/files/hedgewars-VS2010-additional.zip). Just download and overwrite it into your currect hedgewars project folder. This is mainly an update to SDL_mixer (updating it to version 1.2.12), and changing the SDLconfig.h file to work with the sperate platform headers instead of the current one.
Next you will need to change some project settings. If you don't have the SDL directives set correctly in CMake then your project files will be incorect (they still may be incorrect even if you did get them set right). You need to change the following Project Settings for the 'hedgewars' project.
- Make sure that under C/C++ => Additional Include Directories you have \hedgewars\misc\winutils\include\.
- Change the Linker => Input => Additional Dependencies option to have the following at the end:
Adjust the Output Directory under the General settings to be just \hedgewars\bin\.
Run the tools/build_windows.bat
file each time you want to build the source. Please note that there might some incompatibilities with the environment paths of this script in case that you are running MinSYS or Cygwin: we are quite confident that if you use such software you're quite able to correctly set up any paths.